You know the drill – you crawl into bed, check that your gym class is booked, and set your alarm for 6am with all the best intentions. You promise yourself that this time you definitely won’t wake up, cancel your gym class, and re-set your alarm for an hour later. This time it will be different.
6am rolls around (way quicker than you ever thought possible) and getting out of your warm bed suddenly feels like the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do. You quickly cancel your class, re-set your alarm, and you’re back in a deep sleep in under a minute. Sound familiar?
Good news: you’re not alone! Not everyone is a morning person, BUT everyone can be if they just make a few adjustments to their current lifestyle. If you’re keen to wake up earlier and get your gym session out of the way before you start your day, then here are my top tips to make this a reality 🙂
- Switch up your bedtime routine- Take a look at your current nightly routine. Do you watch TV until late, then head up to bed and scroll through your phone until your eyes can’t take it anymore? If so, try switching it up by pulling the technology plug earlier on in the night. If you allow your mind time to calm down and give your eyes a break from the light of a screen, you should find it much easier to fall into a deep sleep. Some of my favourite ways to wind down in the evening are: reading a book, applying a calming moisturiser, or listening to a bit of Yoga Nidra (sleep meditation) before dozing off.
- Let there be light!– Try leaving your blinds/curtains open slightly so that natural light can pour through as the sun rises. This can make it much easier to wake up early. If you have black out curtains it is just all too easy to fall right back into a deep sleep after your alarm goes off. And yes, I know this is only really applicable in the summer months, but they will be here soon (thank goodness!).
- Put your phone out of arms reach- If you sleep with your phone/alarm clock right next to your bed, then try moving it to the other side of the room or just outside your door. This way you can’t just hit the snooze button while half asleep and roll over, but you have to actually get up to turn it off in the morning and once you’re out of bed you may as well just stay up right? Another perk of placing your phone out of arms reach is that you can’t check it in the night and potentially see work-related and/or stressful notifications on your home screen that will make your mind start racing when you should be sound asleep!
- Set more than one alarm– Instead of relying on your snooze button to wake you up again, try setting a second alarm to go off 1 minute after your first one. This way you won’t have enough time to drop back into a deep sleep before the alarm sounds again. (Tip: if you sleep with a partner don’t set too many alarms to go off 1 minute apart or they just might kick you out of bed ha!).
- Get an accountability pal- This is my ultimate top tip for getting my butt out of bed in the morning to workout – arrange to meet a friend at the gym! If I know I’m meeting a pal there it is very unlikely that I’ll cancel and it actually makes it a bit easier to get up in general. Try to find a friend who is already a morning person so it’s unlikely they’ll cancel on you as well.
- Lay out your gym kit the night before- To make your morning routine as easy as possible get your gym kit out and ready to go the night before. If you shower at the gym and head straight to work, then make sure your work bag is packed as well and your food is prepped for the next day. This way you can just roll out of bed straight into your kit, grab your bag, and head to the car before you have time to change your mind!
So, who’s going to give this a try tomorrow? Give it a go and let us know how you get on! If you’re already a morning person, feel free to share your best tips in the comments!